Inaugural Rodgers & Hammerstein production of Oklahoma receives 6 TANYS Awards!
On May 2, 2014 the Gatesinger Company’s inaugural production of Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Oklahoma! was evaluated by the Theater Association of New York State (TANYS) and received 6 TANYS Awards* for the following:
- Excellence in Acting and Vocal Performance to: Kelly Witter for her portrayal of Laurey Williams
- Excellence in Acting and Vocal Performance to: Nicole Young for her portrayal of Ado Annie
- Excellence in Acting to: Dean Johnson for his portrayal of Jud Fry
- Excellence in Direction to: Kasi L. Krenzer Marshall
- Meritorious Achievement in Acting and Vocal Performance to: Greg Maddock as Will Parker
- Meritorious Achievement in Ensemble Performance to: the Cast of Oklahoma!
Adjudicator’s Comment: Gatesinger Company’s production of Oklahoma! has proven that you don’t have to have a large performance space to successfully produce a big show. This production proved to be an evening of ever-increasing intensity, both in comedy and drama, and was clearly a hit with their audience.
*TANYS has three categories of acknowledgement. They include the following:
Meritorious Achievement, Excellence and Outstanding Achievement.
Meritorious Achievement = advanced theatrical skill noted
Excellence = theatrical skill base not routinely noted in non-professional theatre
Outstanding Achievement = theatrical skill base rarely seen in non-professional theatre